WorSharks can’t put Pirates away, lose 4-3

By Darryl Hunt - Last updated: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - Save & Share - Leave a Comment

The Worcester Sharks came back from a two goal deficit but then fell asleep late in the third period and gave up two goals in 33 second to drop a 4-3 contest to the Portland Pirates Wednesday night at the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland, Maine.

Portland would get on the board first after a couple of borderline calls had the WorSharks skating down two men. Pirates defenseman David Rundblad took a booming shot from about 40 feet out that was just tipped at the last second by Alexandre Bolduc over the right shoulder of WorSharks netminder Harri Sateri and inside the top corner at 7:16 of the opening period. Just after Curt Gogol was boarded by Nathan Oystrick, which both referees chose to ignore despite Gogol bleeding from the impact with the boards, the Pirates would make it 2-0 when Andy Miele connected after a nice pass from behind the goal from Brett MacLean. Sateri had no chance at all on the shot at 14:59.

Worcester would get one back with a power play tally of their own when Jack Combs connected at 16:49 with a shot that banked off Pirates netminder Marc Cheverie and went into the net. The goal, which was Combs team leading eighth first period tally and the fourth straight game he notched a goal, was assisted by Tim Kennedy and Matt Irwin.

Nathan Moon would get the WorSharks back to even just after Worcester failed to score on a two man advantage that also included a borderline call that went in the favor of Worcester. Portland had just gotten a skater back but a penalty killer was without a stick giving Worcester an additional advantage. Brodie Reid blasted a shot on net that Moon was able to gather the rebound and push it into an empty net at 3:01. Irwin had the second assist.

Ryan Del Monte gave the WorSharks a 3-2 lead when he jammed home a rebound that was laying in the crease. Brandon Mashinter wheeled the net and tried to slip the puck inside the far post, but Cheverie was there to make the save. The netminder though he had the puck covered but the Worcester forwards crashing the net could see the loose puck, and Del Monte was able to put the puck in the net at 14:25. Based on the video there may be a scoring change on the tally. Right after the goal a scrum broke out in front of the Pirates net that resulted in a Portland power play, but Sateri made several nice saves to keep Worcester in the lead.

The Pirates would get back to even in the third period when Worcester got caught running around in their own zone and a bouncing puck ended up on the stick of Jordan Szwarz in the slot. His shot beat Sateri at 14:43 to swing the momentum in Portland’s direction. 33 seconds later Tyler Eckford buried one past a sleeping Worcester defense to take a 4-3 lead.

From there is was all Cheverie, who stopped about a half dozen high quality chances to keep Portland in the lead. The WorSharks had almost 30 seconds of six on gout play but again Cheverie came up big.

Scratches for the WorSharks were Alex Stalock, Ben Guite, Tony Lucia, Frazer McLaren, Sena Acolatse, and Jimmy Bonneau. Tyson Sexsmith was the back-up goaltender. In a pregame interview with Roy Sommer broadcasted on WTAG Sommer gave no hints as to when Stalock was going to play, but he did note that Stalock wasn’t here just to ride the bus.

The AHL announced a couple of suspensions Tuesday from Saturday’s WorSharks game with Hershey. Bears captain Boyd Kane was suspended three games for boarding Curt Gogol, and Joel Rechlicz was suspended one game for cross checking Matt Pelech in the face.

The three stars of the game were:
1. POR – Rundblad (g,a)
2. POR – Cheverie (32 saves)
3. WOR – Moon (g,a)

The Sharkspage player of the game was Matt Irwin


Worcester 1 2 0 – 3
Portland 2 0 2 – 4

1st Period-1, Portland, Rundblad 6 (O’Sullivan, Bolduc), 7:16 (PP). 2, Portland, Miele 10 (MacLean, Beaudoin), 14:59. 3, Worcester, Combs 12 (Kennedy, Irwin), 16:49 (PP). Penalties-Oystrick Por (slashing), 1:09; Viedensky Wor (slashing), 6:18; Doherty Wor (slashing), 6:58; MacIntyre Wor (fighting), 14:34; Oystrick Por (fighting), 14:34; Rundblad Por (holding), 16:14.

2nd Period-4, Worcester, Moon 7 (Reid, Irwin), 3:01 (PP). 5, Worcester, Del Monte 6 (Mashinter, Moon), 14:25 (PP). Penalties-O’Sullivan Por (tripping), 0:55; Bolduc Por (hooking), 1:36; Moon Wor (hooking), 8:43; Rome Por (roughing), 12:38; Del Monte Wor (roughing), 14:25; Gogol Wor (unsportsmanlike conduct), 14:25; Szwarz Por (roughing), 14:25; Del Monte Wor (cross-checking, fighting), 19:06; Arsene Por (fighting), 19:06.

3rd Period-6, Portland, Szwarz 5 (Rundblad), 14:43. 7, Portland, Eckford 7 (Miele, Beaudoin), 15:16. Penalties-Bolduc Por (tripping), 0:30; Stone Por (high-sticking), 16:01; Oystrick Por (unsportsmanlike conduct, slashing), 19:36; Kennedy Wor (cross-checking), 20:00.

Shots on Goal-Worcester 8-12-15-35. Portland 12-8-7-27.
Power Play Opportunities-Worcester 3 / 8; Portland 1 / 5.
Goalies-Worcester, Sateri 11-9-0 (27 shots-23 saves). Portland, Cheverie 3-1-0 (35 shots-32 saves).
Referees-Mark Lemelin (41), Jean Hebert (43).
Linesmen-Landon Bathe (80), Joe Andrews (32).

Bookmark and Share
Posted in Worcester Sharks • • Top Of Page