No San Jose Sharks file for salary arbitration

By Jon Swenson - Last updated: Monday, July 5, 2010 - Save & Share - One Comment


No San Jose Sharks filed for salary arbitration by today’s 2PM (PT) deadline. Restricted free agent Devin Setoguchi, who scored 62 goals and 118 points in his first two and a half seasons, said discussions are ongoing between his agent Paul Krepelka and the team. “I told (GM Doug Wilson) I want to be here, I want to be here for a long time, who wouldn’t? It’s a great place to play,” Setoguchi told CSNBA last week.

Last Tuesday, the Sharks made qualifying offers to restricted free agents Devin Setoguchi, defenseman Derek Joslin, and forward Steven Zalewski. All three players have until Thursday, July 15th to accept the QO’s. If the offers are rejected, and the player does not decide to go to salary arbitration, San Jose will retain their rights under the collective bargaining agreement until they sign, or until they become eligible for free agency.

According to the Sharks, Tuesday 2PM (PT) is the deadline for team’s to file for salary arbitration. San Jose has not filed for arbitration under the current CBA. According to the NHL, salary arbitration hearings can be held from Tuesday, July 20th to Wednesday, August 4th. The last Sharks player to file for salary arbitration was Marcel Goc in 2008, but he signed a $775,000 one year contract before his hearing.

Other teams can make an ‘offer sheet’ on a restricted free agent. If the player signs an offer sheet with a new team, his original team has 7 days to match the offer or else he can be signed with compensation. In the last 9 years, only 5 players have received offer sheets. Vancouver’s Ryan Kesler received an offer sheet from Philadelphia in 2006, Buffalo’s Thomas Vanek received an offer sheet from Edmonton in 2007, St. Louis’ David Backes received an offer sheet from Vancouver in 2008, and former Shark and current Canuck Steve Bernier received an offer sheet from St. Louis in 2008. Only Dustin Penner, who received a 5-year $21.5 million contract with Edmonton, had an offer sheet that was not matched by his original team. The Anaheim Ducks received first, second and third round draft picks from Edmonton in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft as compensation.

Around the league, Vancouver’s Mason Raymond and Jannik Hansen, Boston’s Blake Wheeler, Atlanta’s Andrew Ladd and Ben Eager, Washington’s Jeff Schultz and Tomas Fleischmann, Chicago Blackhawks goaltender Antti Niemi, New York’s Daniel Girardi, Flyer enforcer Daniel Carcillo, Los Angeles Kings center Brad Richardson, and Anaheim Ducks defenseman James Wisniewski were some of the players who filed for salary arbitration. Thirty one players filed for arbitration in total according to the NHLPA.

[Update] Chicago’s Niemi among NHL arbitration filings before deadline – Greg Wyshynski for Yahoo’s Puck Daddy.

Bookmark and Share
Posted in San Jose Sharks • • Top Of Page

One Response to “No San Jose Sharks file for salary arbitration”

Pingback from TSN’s Gord Miller reports San Jose signed a 4-year, $14M offer sheet for Chicago defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson » SHARKSPAGE
Time July 9, 2010 at 10:11 AM

[...] the 2011 NHL Entry Draft as compensation. In the last 9 years, only 5 players have received offer sheets (Ryan Kesler, Thomas Vanek, David Backes, Steve Bernier, Dustin Penner). Only the offer sheet made [...]